By Alisha Puckett
Association for Women in Sports Media members have been a busy bunch the past few months, with new jobs, weddings, new cities and exciting adventures — they’ve got plenty to share. Here are a few updates on AWSM’s fellow members:
• Jocelyn Syrstad, a 2010 AWSM intern, was hired this fall by Sherdog.com, a mixed martial arts website that covers the UFC, Bellator and other professional MMA leagues. While living in Eau Claire, Wisc., Syrstad covers local fighters in the Midwest (mainly Wisconsin and Minnesota).
“I am currently working on a first-person training piece where I have been going through MMA training with various fighters preparing for their next bouts. It has been fun, but it has definitely opened my eyes to a whole new world of sports! These guys are intense!” said Syrstad of her new job.
• Rachel G. Bowers has been promoted to sports editor of the Athens (Ga.) Banner-Herald. She was previously assistant sports editor at the Banner-Herald and her promotion makes her the first female sports editor in Morris Communications history, a company that goes back about 200 years.
• Amanda Brooks joined the staff at USA Track & Field in November, accepting a position as a marketing and communications manager working primarily with elite and professional athletes. Her new position involves representing USATF on an international level, including at World Championships and Olympics. She spent the last four seasons with the athletic department at the University of Florida.
• DaShawn Brown, a 2006 AWSM intern, was recently hired as a broadcast news reporter for the CBS affiliate in Charleston, S.C. Brown covers news primarily, with sports duties on special assignment. She has worked as a sports reporter and anchor for stations in Georgia and Mississippi.
• ESPN.com deputy editor Heather Burns has joined the NFL team as part of NFL Nation and oversees eight reporters covering the NFC and AFC West. She previously worked as an editor at espnW.com.
• Writer/editor Clare Lochary has joined Millennial Media, a mobile advertising company based in Baltimore, as an internal communications manager. She previously worked as an assistant editor and columnist for Lacrosse Magazine, a publication of US Lacrosse.
• Jill Painter Lopez, a sports columnist for the L.A. Daily News, married another sports writer, Ricardo Lopez, on Aug. 30 in Santa Monica, Calif. The couple honeymooned in Hawaii, where Jill reports is a “must visit” destination.
• Chevonne Mansfield has joined the American Athletic Conference as director of communications. Mansfield had previously served as assistant director of media relations at the Southeastern Conference since 2011.
Do you have member news to pass along? Please let Alisha Puckett know by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.