By Joanne Gerstner
In the spirit of honoring the hard work and strong enthusiasm of our growing roster of student chapters, AWSM’s Board is instituting a “Chapter of the Year” award. The first winner of the award will be chosen this spring, and will be honored at AWSM’s special 25th anniversary convention in Phoenix from June 20-23.
AWSM’s chapter of the year winner will receive a commemorative plaque, as well as a monetary gift, at the convention.
The rules and procedure are simple:
– Each chapter is eligible and can apply for the award.
– There are four components to the application, off a 100-point scale:
1. A short (600 words or less) essay summarizing their accomplishments over the school year and stating why they feel they should be chapter of the year (worth 50 points).
2. Describe their programming over the year (20 points).
3. Show how they have grown or recruited new full AWSM chapter/national members over the year (20 points).
4. Describe their goals for their chapter’s future and how they fit in AWSM’s core missions to support and help women in sports media (10 points).
The application should have the four parts emailed to VP/Outreach Joanne C. Gerstner at joanne (dot) gerstner (at) awsmonline (dot) org by March 25. Applications will be evaluated by AWSM’s Board to determine the winner.
The winner will be notified in April, in order to give them enough time to make plans to attend the convention and accept the award in person.