Since 1990, AWSM has placed more than 140 female college students interested in sports media careers in paid summer internships working in broadcast production, broadcast reporting, print/digital reporting, magazine writing and public relations. All interns receive a $1,000 scholarship and complimentary registration and lodging at AWSM’s annual convention.
Our 2016 interns worked at ESPN, MLB Network, CNN, USA Today Sports, MLB.com, Sports Illustrated, PRO Sports Communications and Sporting News. Internship hosts are subject to change each year.
Below are the eight internship winners from 2016:
• Hannah Burton, University of Maryland, CNN
• Emily Roth, University of Missouri, ESPN
• Chloe Pavlech, University of Maryland, MLB Network
• Callie Caplan, University of Maryland, USA Today Sports
• Madeline Lee, Northwestern University, MLB.com
• Shannon Scovel, American University, Sports Illustrated
• Terrin Waack, University of Alabama, Sporting News
• Hanna Sprague, Michigan State University, PRO Sports Communications
AWSM would like to thank the following individuals and organizations for their ongoing support of the program: Christine Brennan, Jim Jenks, Kristin Huckshorn, Martin Doerfler, Michelle Kaufman, Myra MacPherson, the Sports Journalism Institute and Associated Press Sports Editors.
The scholarship opportunities presented to students are as follows:
• The Jim Brennan Scholarship
• The Betty Brennan Scholarship
• The AWSM Board Scholarship
• The Joyce-Jenks Family Scholarship
• The Leah Siegel Memorial Scholarship
• The Founders Scholarship
• The Sophie Scholarship
• APSE Mary Garber Scholarship
The application process for the 2017 AWSM internship/scholarship program is open through Oct. 31. There is no fee for AWSM members to apply, and $40 application fee for for non-members. Student membership to AWSM is $25, which waives the internship/scholarship application fee.
Winners should be notified in late December.
• For a complete list of former employers, click here.
• For a complete list of previous AWSM internship and scholarship winners, click here.
• Please e-mail any questions about the AWSM internship and scholarship program to firstname.lastname@example.org