Since 1990, AWSM has placed more than 100 female college students interested in sports media careers in paid internships with employers such as Sports Illustrated, ESPN and some of the country’s most respected daily newspapers.
Applications for the 2013 program are closed. To read more about our 2012 scholarship winners and their summer internships, click here.
Winners will receive up to a $1,000 scholarship and be placed in a paid internship. Our 2012 interns worked at ESPN, Sports Illustrated, MLB.com, The Denver Post, The Washington Times and USA Swimming.
Former AWSM interns now work at top media organizations like the New York Times, Sports Illustrated, The Associated Press, The Washington Post, the Boston Globe and ESPN. During the summer of 2010, AWSM placed interns at ESPN, Sports Illustrated, MLB.com, the Salt Lake City Tribune, USA Track and Field and the Colorado Springs Gazette. For a complete list of recent former employers, click here.
• Applicants must be full-time female students seeking an undergraduate or graduate degree during the 2012-13 academic year.
• Previous winners are not eligible.
• Membership in AWSM is not required. However, applicants can join AWSM for just $15 in addition to their $20 application fee.
• AWSM board members and appropriate media professionals will serve as judges.
• Applicants may be contacted by phone for an interview.
• All intern placements are final decisions, made jointly by AWSM and the employer.
• Interns are expected to serve a full term with the employer.
• Interns will receive half of their scholarship money at the start of the internship and the remaining half upon completion of the internship.