Since 1990, AWSM has placed more than 140 female college students interested in sports media careers in paid summer internships working in broadcast production, broadcast reporting, print/digital reporting, magazine writing and public relations. All interns receive a $1,000 scholarship and complimentary registration and lodging at AWSM’s annual convention.
Our 2015 interns worked at ESPN, CNN, MLB.com, Sports Illustrated, PRO Sports Communications and the Colorado Springs Gazette. Internship hosts are subject to change each year.
AWSM would like to thank the following individuals and organizations for their ongoing support of the program: Christine Brennan, Kristin Huckshorn, Martin Doerfler, Michelle Kaufman, Myra MacPherson, the Sports Journalism Institute and Associated Press Sports Editors.
Applications are being accepted for a summer 2016 internship. APPLY NOW.
• For a complete list of former employers, click here.
• For a complete list of previous AWSM internship and scholarship winners, click here.
*Five work samples
*Three references (names/contact information)
*One letter of reference
There is an application fee for each application you submit. Applying in different categories requires a separate application and fee for each category’s application.
• $10 if you are a current AWSM member
• If you want to join AWSM at the time of submitting your application, you pay $35 combined ($10 application fee and a $25 membership fee)
• $20 to apply without being a member
• Applicants must be full-time female students seeking an undergraduate or graduate degree during the 2015-16 academic year.
• Previous winners are not eligible.
• Membership in AWSM is not required. However, applicants can join AWSM for just $15 in addition to their $20 application fee.
• AWSM board members and appropriate media professionals will serve as judges.
• All intern placements are final decisions, made jointly by AWSM and the employer.
• Interns are expected to serve a full term with the employer.
• Interns will receive half of their scholarship money at the start of the internship and the remaining half upon completion of the internship.
• Applications and payment must be received by Oct. 31.
• Please e-mail any questions about the AWSM internship and scholarship program to email@example.com