AWSM staff report
Competition is fierce for jobs in sports media, and making a good first impression counts for everything when you’re trying to stand out.
How it works:
• We’ve put together a committee of managers that includes Letitia Eady (Senior Recruiter, Golf Channel), Mary Byrne (Managing Editor, USA Today Sports), Tim Stephens (Deputy Managing Editor, CBS Interactive/Sports) and Greg Brownell (Sports Editor, The Glen Falls Post Star).
• Interested participants apply for a workshop slot with AWSM, then put together an electronic packet consisting of resume, clips or reel and a dummy cover letter. The manager you’ve been matched up with will get your packet ahead of time via email and will review your materials. Veterans and mid-career professionals are invited to apply.
• On Saturday afternoon during the convention, each manager will meet with one workshop participant at a time, during pre-determined timeslots, and critique the participants’ materials.
How to sign up for the workshop:
Space in the workshop is extremely limited because we want each participant to get one-on-one time with a manager.
Want to have your work reviewed? Email email@example.com by April 21. Slots are available on a first come, first served basis until the workshop is full. The workshop is only open to registered convention attendees.
In your email, use “Hiring Workshop Participation” as your subject and include the following information:
2. Affiliation (School, and intended graduation year/company),
3. Field of interest (newspapers/digital/TV/PR),
• You will hear back from us as to whether you got a spot in the workshop.
• Only then will we ask for your materials to be forwarded along to the manager you’ve been matched up with.
• At that point, we will also set you up with a designated workshop time during the convention.